[Jenkins-infra] [INFRA-910] Automating release of Jenkins
me at olblak.com
Fri Jul 27 10:09:55 UTC 2018
I also send this email on the dev mailing as it's not only related to infrastructure and my maven-fu is not well trained.
I have been working on the process to build and release new Jenkins versions and I am looking for feedbacks/answers/help.
I am documenting my approach in this IEP document https://git.io/fNE3W (still WIP) and I made a Jenkinsfile prototype to build Jenkins that you can be find here https://git.io/fNE3V.
I tested it on a fresh jenkins-x cluster with few plugins (SSH-agent and Azure credentials).
I am still not sure where this Jenkinsfile should be located, jenkinsci/jenkins repo or another repository but I don't think we should touch the default Jenkinsfile from 'jenkinsci/jenkins'.
I still have some grey areas.
* Would it make sense to move the Jenkinsfile to a shared library, so people can call it from different place (like jenkinsci-cert/jenkins)
* They are several maven profiles defined in the pom.xml, especially release and release-lts, are they still used?
I don't find any mention in the KK release script https://gist.github.com/kohsuke/3319b65432ab40793eadc297e2456b79
* What's the current process to promote a version from weekly -> stable
* For each distribution they are currently four different version 'debian-rc, debian-stable-rc, debian-stable, debian', and it seems that debian-rc and debian-stable-rc are not used anymore. Are they deprecated?
* Which authentication method do we use to transfer files on artifactory (ssh key?).
-> gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D
On Tue, Jun 5, 2018, at 5:45 PM, Daniel Beck wrote:
> > On 5. Jun 2018, at 17:01, Olblak <me at olblak.com> wrote:
> > Am I missing a big element?
> Staging of security fixes a day or two before, from jenkinsci-cert/
> jenkins, into a configurable staging repo in Artifactory (for
> artifacts), and ideally including staging of package repos, pushing
> commits to the private GitHub repo only.
> A way to resolve merge conflicts on release, which occur regularly at
> least with security updates.
> In terms of distribution, I need a way to quickly push both core and
> plugins through whatever infra stands between public bits in Artifactory
> and distribution to users, unless that's really fast to begin with. See
> the private security runbook for how I accomplish this today.
> Jenkins-infra mailing list
> Jenkins-infra at lists.jenkins-ci.org
More information about the Jenkins-infra